Completing MOD 2

After I finished all of the reading for Mod 2 I came to a realization: it is very odd that teachers do not learn about the history of teaching. After taking some time to digest the lack of learning about the history of education, I questioned how this may affect my teaching. In my initial education training I did not have a course that explored the history of education. What does this say about history as a subject? I remember having classes about how to teach math and language, but where was history? It was bunched in with social studies. I am a teachers of social studies at the senior level and the history of any topic is important to explore. How do you know where you going if you do not know where you have been?
From a teaching perspective, I believe that if we studied the history of education (specifically pedagogy) teachers could have a better understanding of the role of teachers. I also believe, that a lot of the confusion that is present for new teachers (the where do I fit in) would being to make sense, if all teachers studied the history of education.

One thing I really enjoyed learning about is the importance of telling stories as a way to express a key point. Certain cultures rely on telling stories to pass on key information for survival. In teaching, I love to tell stories as a way to get my point across. At the end of the year, I ask my students where I can improve and what they enjoyed in our class. One thing that I remember reading was one of my students thanked me for telling students to express key points because it helped (that student) remember important information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rant

Reflections on my personality type.

My view on teaching and learning