Can creativity be present in a school system?

To be an effective teacher, I need to be aware of my weaknesses. Before the reading this week (I will post them at the bottom) I thought I was not creative. What I learned this week is that I am not creative in the context in which I was taught, Art. My skills in Art do not come from a pen or a paint brush. My skills in Art come from my ability to create things or in athletics. I am skilled in construction and in playing sports. Two creations I made this week were a jewelry holder and a coat rack using only scrap wood from construction, I am currently completing at a family members house.
Based on the reading, I learned that creativity is hindered when there are too many constrictions or there is a fear of being evaluated. Also, that most of what we think of as creative are a product of what people want and expect to see in Art. Most of what I produced in my elementary school days was a product that was being marked and there were many constraints. I felt that I was not good at Art or in being creative.  What does this mean for developing my weakness in Art? Firstly, I am not as bad as I originally thought. Secondly, I will ensure that when I give art tasks to my students I will allow for a more creative space.
To answer my topic question, I do believe that creativity can be present in the schooling system. I must note, that it is not the most creative, due to the fact that I will assess some of my student's work. My thinking is that I will ensure that some of the creative tasks are unmarked and their purpose will be to give students a space to be truly creative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rant

Reflections on my personality type.

My view on teaching and learning